April 20, 2017

HAIR| HOW I MAINTAIN MY BRAIDS


Getting braids has always been the more preferred method of protective styling for my relaxed hair - it is fuss-free and relatively inexpensive to maintain. Knowing well that most people turn to protective styling during the cold season, I thought it would be worthwhile to share some of the products I love to use on my hair when it's braided.


hair-products-for-braids
My super quattro

One thing you'll realise about my survival kit for braided hair is that it's not really unique from my RELAXED HAIR ESSENTIALS KIT - it's simply the combination of products that I use that helps my braids stay neat for longer while keeping my own hair moisturised and protected. As soon as I arrive home from the salon, I literally douse my fresh braids with African Pride Olive Miracle Anti-Breakage Braid Sheen Spray (R35.95, Clicks), a lightweight water-based hair spray that is enriched with favoured natural hair ingredients such as tea tree oil, olive oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil and multiple other amino acids and vitamins. Aside from being refreshing, I've found that applying a generous amount of hair spray helps with soothing the scalp and relieving that 'just had my hair done' tension.

For the weeks that follow, I stick to a hair care routine that involves re-hydrating my braids with hair spray every other day (but not as copiously as the first day) and basing my scalp twice a week with a mixture of African Pride Maximum Strengthening Growth Oil (R38.95, Clicks) and SOil Tea Tree Organic Essential Oil (R37.95, Dischem) which has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. I generally don't wash my braids (don't judge), so the tea tree oil helps maintain healthy, fresh-smelling scalp and hair. In the mornings, I apply a good amount of the Schwarzkopf Smooth 'n Shine Conditioning Foam Wrap (R38.95, Dischem) and then cover my head with a head wrap (doek) to lay down any hair that might be starting to stick out from the braids. To keep my edges in check, I apply the EcoStyler Olive Oil Styling Gel (R85 - R129, african-flair.co.za) which offers a strong, long-lasting hold without flaking. I have noticed however that it does build up and trap dust, dirt etc., so I make sure to rinse it off when I wash my face in the evenings.

How to keep waist-length braids and Senegalese twist looking new and fresh

As much as braids are a fairly low maintenance protective style, it is important to remember that they can only do so much. You need to make sure that you don't neglect your natural hair hence it is imperative to moisture and treat as you would without braids. Neglect often leads to excessive breakage and receding hairlines, and you know NO ONE wants that!


Do you also have a specific hair care routine for braids? Any products that have helped you with minimising breakage? Pray, do tell in the comment section below.


'Til next time,

V
  


1 comment

Thank you for taking the time to read through this post and commenting! I'll reply soon

@vuyelwa_vm

© VERY ME VERY V - South African Beauty Blog. Design by FCD.