January 17, 2017

REVIEW| THE BEST OF 2016



Coming up with my pick of the top 10 beauty products that stood out in 2016 was actually easier than expected. These products were the unfailing dons of my 2016 beauty collection, so I thought I should give credit were credit is due. 


VERY ME VERY V SOUTH AFRICAN BEAUTY BLOGGER
My faves of 2016

 Listed from left  to right, as seen on the flatlay, here they are:

1. SOil Organic Rosehip Oil (R80, Dischem/ FaithfultoNature.com)
Rosehip oil is heralded in the beauty and natural skincare industry as a potent solution for reducing scarring, dark spots, fine lines and other signs of ageing. Its loaded with Vitamin C and E - two anti-oxidants that are respectively known for their skin brightening and repairing properties. I started using rosehip oil after I suffered a major hormonal breakout that left me with stubborn acne scars and have loved how its helped the hyperpigmentation clear up while keeping my skin hydrated and moisturised.
 
2. Iman Cosmetics Luxury Contour Trio* (R349, Stuttafords/ imancosmetics.co.za)
The review of this contouring/ highlighting palette is one of my most read posts from last year and I totally understand why. As a dark-skinned woman, I know the struggle of finding a suitable bronzer/ contour shade, so when I was gifted this palette I immediately (ran to my car, ripped open the packaging) tried out the darkest shade and found it to be perfect (PERFECT) for my skin tone. Check out the in-depth review here.

3. Revlon Colorstay Pressed Powder in ‘Mocha’ (R215, Clicks/ Dischem/Foschini/Edgars) 
Revlon South Africa did the absolute most last year with its 'LoveIsOn' influencer campaign and one of the products that were rolled out with the campaign was the pressed powder collection with shades to suit all WoC skintones. I have explained my struggle with finding suitable contour products so when this collection came out, I decided to try one of the powders as a contour  shade.  I have hit pan, so you know that I have loved it.

4. Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra 24H Foundation in ‘10’ (Beige Praline) (R499, Edgars/Foschini) 
Throughout the year I had been wanting to try out a high-end foundation and after some research, I decided to get Lancôme's Teint Idole Ultra 24H foundation (I also tried Estee Lauder Double Wear but wasn't too happy with how it oxidised). My combination skin has taken very well to this foundation: it offers a beautiful long-wearing and skin-like matte finish and although it also oxidises, it doesn't look orange like the other foundations I've used (Revlon, Estee Lauder). I will give an in-depth review soon, so look out for that. 

5. Urban Decay Vice Comfort Matte Lipstick in 'Blackmail' (R230, Urban Decay/Foschini)
A number of brands launched in South Africa last year and one of them was Urban Decay. I attended the launch and one of the products I bought was this vampy, deep-plum lipstick. Although I'm not sold on the comfort matte concept (feels a lot like a satin finish), I love how intensely pigmented the lipstick is. I haven't rocked it as much during the summer, but come winter it'll be all I wear.

6. Cala Blending Brush '311' (R39.95, Dischem)
If you want to improve your eyeshadow application skills, invest in a good blending brush and practise blending. I saw a number of local beauty bloggers raving about this blending brush from Cala and decided to try it out. Affordably priced and a great competitor to brands like Real Techniques in terms of quality, it's proven its worth in hype.

7. NYX Micro Brow Pencil in ‘Espresso’ (R149.95, Clicks) 
I’m currently on my second purchase of this brow pencil – the first purchase was in late November so that should hopefully give you an indication of how enamoured I am with this product. I have used it literally every day since I bought it and was pleased to hear from Jackie Aina’s recent video that its formulation compares very well to the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz. The fine-tipped wind-up pencil applies very comfortably and is thin enough to create hair-like strokes. It is also superbly pigmented and lasts all day - a must have in my books. If you have a more caramel skintone (WoC), try using the lighter variant called 'Ash Brown'.
 
8. NYX Strobe of Genius Illuminating Palette* (R354.95, Clicks)
Towards the end of November last year, I attended the pre-launch of the #WorldOfNYX at Menlyn Park, Pretoria and received this diamond (pun very much intended) of an illuminating palette in the complimentary gift bag. I am yet to reveal and review the full contents of the gift bag, but so far this palette has been the most used item. It definitely doesn’t hold back on the luminescence and offers long-lasting radiance. Perfect for strobing!

9. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream* (R355, Edgars/ Kiehls’s)
I was introduced to Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream last year when Beauty Bulletin chose several beauty influencers including myself to take part in the Kiehl’s #High5ToGreatSkin campaign that focused on hydrating skin and minimising blemishes and signs of pre-mature aging. I reviewed the cream along with four other Kiehl’s products here. It might sound like I'm over exaggerating when I say that this cream made me aware of how hydrated skin is meant to feel but I kid you not, it is magical. 

10. Eucerin Sun Gel-Creme Oil Control Dry Touch SPF 50+ (R179.95, Dischem) 
If you struggle with using sunscreen lotion on a daily basis and especially hate the smell and greasy, ghostly look it tends to give, try Eucerin's Sun Gel Creme. It is specifically formulated for oily, acne-prone skin therefore it offers high sun protection with a comfortable matte finish. I especially love its light, fast-absorbing texture and since I started using it, I've hardly used a foundation primer. 


And there you have it - my top 10 favourite products of 2016. So far they remain to be staples in my beauty routine, but who knows which new releases might knock them off the list. Either way they are products I would recommend any time. 

If you decide to try them out, let me know in the comment section below.


'Til next time,

V








Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read through this post and commenting! I'll reply soon

@vuyelwa_vm

© VERY ME VERY V - South African Beauty Blog. Design by FCD.