November 04, 2016

HAIR| MY RELAXED HAIR ESSENTIALS


"What do you use on your hair?"

This one question has followed me through shopping malls, hair salons, night outs, public toilets...you name it. If my hair is worn down I'm almost guaranteed to get frisked with that one question but I won't lie, it does feel good to get that little bit of recognition...kinda feels like a 'good job' pat on the back. In those instances I often just name the brand and keep it moving because honestly, to name each and every single product would take forever but since I have a blog, I thought I'd share a bit more on what I currently have in my hair care stash...

My hair care regimen follows five basic steps:

First base

1. Cleanse

African 4C hair (my curl type) is known to be naturally dry, and when you top that with low porosity and chemical straightening, you have yourself a dehydrated disaster waiting to happen, so when I buy any shampoos and conditioners, I always reach for those that increase moisture and replenish proteins and vitamins weakened by relaxing. My go-to shampoo has always been ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo, but Garnier South Africa had recently launched their Ultimate Blends range of shampoos, conditioners and serums (& every blogger was talking about the range & Clicks was having a 3 for 2 sale) so I decided to try it out. I picked the variants that contain coconut oil & cocoa butter and avocado oil & shea butter because, well simply put those ingredients are the bomb! Coconut and avocado oil are two of the few oils that can actually penetrate the hair shaft due to their low molecular size and the lauric acid found in coconut oil helps prevent hair protein loss. Shea butter is praised for its moisturising abilities therefore when used on hair, it coats the shaft and helps protect the hair from damage caused by chemical treatments and excessive heat. The shampoos clean well (they contain sulfates so if you are not looking for a deep cleanse, better pick something else) and offer an average level of moisture and slip. My favourite of the two has been 'The Sleek Restorer'- my hair looks pretty tame and feels soft after using it.

2. Condition

Deep conditioning after cleansing is a must for my dry, low porosity hair so I am particular when it comes to the conditioners I use. ORS Replenishing Conditioner has been a die-hard since my Afro days and I love it still. It smells divine and contains hydrolyzed collagen, silk amino acids (stimulate protein production) and aloe vera extract which work together to give your hair elasticity, softness and moisture. My hair always feels smooth and moisturised after using this conditioner. 

The Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter Anti-Breakage Leave-In Conditioner is one of those that I searched high and low for after reading raving reviews from international natural and relaxed hair bloggers. It boasts a myriad of exceptional ingredients such as water, olive oil, mango butter, argan oil, coconut oil, shea butter, aloe vera extract and plenty others. This lightweight conditioner is amazing when it comes to making your hair feel soft and moisturised , but I experienced quick build up of product when using it which led to me having to wash my hair more often, so I haven't been using it as frequently. One leave-in conditioner that I do love and have been reaching for recently is from Cantu Shea Butter. I will review it separately as I didn't have it when I planned this post.

At-home treatments are both essential and economic

3. Treat

Hair treatments are the serums of hair in my opinion. They are meant to work more effectively at targeting problems relating to your hair. As I  mentioned in my previous 'Hair Goals' post, my two main issues is dryness and breakage. Dryness is linked to dehydration (lack of water, not oil) while breakage results from weakened hair strands caused by chemical straighten, excessive manipulation (combing/brushing/styling) and simply not wearing a doek (head scarf) when you sleep! While I have made changes to improve the moisture in my hair (e.g. showering without a cap to allow steam to penetrate the hair, regular moisturing) and minimise manipulation, the relaxer remains to be my hair's frenemy. To try and compensate for the weakened hair protein bonds caused by relaxing, I use an all-time favourite protein treatment (ORS Hair Mayonnaise) every two weeks and balance that with a moisturising treatment (Garnier Nourishing Repairer Balm) every other week as well. The Garnier repairer balm applies like a lightweight hair mask, but unfortunately I can't say I see its effect, so I'll be shopping around for a new moisturising treatment once its finished.  

The other product that I use to strengthen my hair and encourage rapid growth is HR Placenta. My mother swears by it - she has a healthy, rich 'Moses-burning-bush' on her head and well I don't want to go wrong if 'mom's always right', lol. The light oil-serum mixture contains Biotin which is often used as a supplement for improved hair and nail growth. In terms of the placental enzymes that it contains, I still need to do further research on its source as it is not indicated on the packaging.

I love using oils to base my scalp

 4. Seal

To seal in the moisture acquired from deep conditioning and treatment, I love to use light natural oils such as organic virgin coconut oil. I have already mentioned some of the great benefits of applying coconut oil to relaxed hair however if you are interested in knowing more, check out this article HERE. When I'm not using pure coconut oil, I love applying a blend of oils contained in the African Pride Maximum Strengthening Growth Oil. The ingredients include soybean oil, olive oil, wheatgerm oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, avocado oil, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, silk amino acids and a multitude of other hair-friendly vitamins. This oil is slightly heavier than coconut oil so I  use it to base my scalp and moisturise my ends. I also mix in a bit of tea tree oil to minimise dandruff and keep my hair smelling and feeling refreshed.


When you want to slay

5. Style

My styling products include a selection of lotions and creams, gel, heat-protectant spray and foam wraps. On a day to day basis, I use a small amount of ORS Incredibly Rich Moisturising Hair Lotion to add a bit of lustre and moisture to my hair. The lotion is rich in coconut oil and olive oil and has a rather thick consistency hence I use it sparingly. The African Pride Anti-breakage Creme hasn't been used as much - I think I bought it out of curiosity as it contains the exact same ingredients as the Elasta QP Leave-In Conditioner and even has the same consistency. It is pretty much a less expensive and more accessible dupe of the Elasta QP conditioner. When I tie my hair up in a high or even low bun, I prefer to apply Schwarzkopf Conditioning Foam Wrap throughout the hair then set the edges with Eco Styler Gel. The foam wrap acts as a mousse that sets the hair in place without feeling overly stiff and crunchy. I find the gel to be too messy to use throughout the hair and often leaves residue if you don't wash it out daily. The heat protectant spray that I use when blow-drying my hair, is ORS Thermal Protect and Shine however I am not a fan. The spray contain no 'natural' ingredients and actually feels like an artificial dry oil, however it does add amazing lightweight sheen to the hair.




As you can see, even with relaxed hair my approach to hair care still follows the trends of natural-textured beauties.  I used the majority of these products when I still had my 'fro and haven't felt the need to change. While this post has been quite a long read (sorry!) I hope that it's been helpful to anyone who's on their own relaxed hair journey (you are not alone!) and seeking advise on products to use.




'Til next time,

V

42 comments

  1. Where did you end up finding the Elasta QP? Your hair is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lebo! I bought it online from obulunji.com. The supplier stays in Honeydew, Johannesburg.

      Delete
  2. These essentials are really nice & helpful. Thanks for sharing.. If someone is suffering from hair loss then can go for Hair Weaving in Delhi also, Non Surgical Treatment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. There are many products made to help slow down hair loss. Shampoos, Dht blocking hair regrowth conditioner and hair regrowth treatments are on the market to give those who need them hope that they may be able to hold on to a full head of hair. Hair loss products do provide some relief for their users.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.....Really i am impressed from this post....the person who create this post it was a great human..thanks for shared this with us. Kappersopleiding

    ReplyDelete
  5. The most ideal approach to treat the danger of male pattern baldness is to deal with your hair while it is solid. This incorporates an appropriate eating regimen that is low in greasy admission and an activity regiment that spotlights on enthusiastic oxygen consuming action once a day.
    Hair rejuvenation

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for helping people get the information they need. Great stuff as usual. Keep up the great work!!! nova vs philips hair dryer

    ReplyDelete

  7. Without anyone else's input, Laser Hair Treatment alone is one of just three FDA-endorsed medications for simply that. It stops male pattern baldness and regrows your hair.
    laser hair removal in Manhattan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the great and very helpful content for hair treatment. Yes it's absolutely correct it's amazing formula for hair treatment, same formula seen at Cureveda, They made herbal hair care oil and provides its online to us. I read people feedback of these hair oil it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing. Which product are you using to relax your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keeps hair amazing and doesn't damage it.. sounds like a great hair care range.
    Hair growth supplements

    ReplyDelete
  11. What hairpiece decision is ideal on the off chance that you need a characteristic looking hairline? Which hairpieces can last more? There is just one response to these inquiries: human hair hairpieces. blonde lace front wig

    ReplyDelete
  12. The structure of my hair is low porosity hair. how can i more moisturising it and you suggest more products. i am little confuse, can you please tell me which one oil is best for my hair. your Article is so informative. Its helped me alot. Thank you for your Efforts. And please suggest me the best oil. once again thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Progressed hair Gear brags on its utilization natural nano-innovation that is fit for entering where it counts the medulla center of even the most safe sort of hair without including the utilization of a harming compound fixings. Hair loss treatment for women

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try not to scour excessively hard also while washing the hair to try not to harm the hair follicles, which are fragile when you have sleek hair. biotin shampoo and conditioner

    ReplyDelete
  15. African American hair is dry and delicate. This makes our hair more vulnerable to breakage, which is the motivation behind why apparently our hair isn't developing. scalp scrub

    ReplyDelete
  16. This shampoo for dry hair claims to add extra softness and brilliant shine from the very first wash. (BLACKWOOD FOR MEN)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. thankyou for sharing great information.kindly visit my blog Hair Transplant clinic in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  19. thankyou for sharing useful information.kindly visit my blog Best hair transplant clinic in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  20. sharing great work .really helpfull information.if you want to get more information kindly visit my blog Hair transplant before and after results

    ReplyDelete
  21. sharing great information ,to get more information kindly visit my blog Factors to Consider Before Hair Transplant

    ReplyDelete
  22. thankyou for sharing useful information to get more information kindly visit my blog How Many Transplanted Hair Grafts Will I Need?

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. thankyou for sharing useful information.if you want to get more information FUT Hair Transplant in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  25. thankyou for sharing useful information.if you want to get more information FUT Hair Transplant in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  26. thankyou for sharing useful information.kinndly visit my blog Scarless Hair Transplant in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  27. thankyou for sharing beneficial information .to get more information kindly visit my blog also Eyelash Hair Transplant in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Indian hair is getting extremely hard to purchase with certainty as it regularly winds up tangling and tangling due the hair being blended in with something different or potentially not being fingernail skin right. hair loss conditioner

    ReplyDelete
  30. thankyou for sharing useful information,to get more information kindly visit my blog Hair Loss Treatments - The Options

    ReplyDelete
  31. Very informative post! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign. hair loss remedies

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank for sharing useful information. also visit my blog FUE Hair Transplant Cost in Dubai

    ReplyDelete
  33. " All creation reflects its Creator; therefore, we can see something of Beauty itself in creation. Truth, beauty, and goodness, which are called "the transcendentals," cannot be separated from one another because they are a unity as the Trinity is One. Truth is beautiful in itself. And goodness describes all that God has made. "God saw all that He had made, and it was very good" (Gen.1:31). cbd bath bomb for fibromyalgia

    ReplyDelete
  34. A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post.
    best hair care products

    ReplyDelete
  35. It is a proven fact that modern hair salons can help you in gaining desirable hair lengths and styles provided that you are taking the right treatment from right salon. hair salon near me

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is a great inspiring article. I am pretty much pleased with your good work. You put really very helpful information.
    hair moisturizer spray

    ReplyDelete
  37. To make the decrease of unions under 1 % is the most favorable piece of the FUT hair transplant.
    Neograft Hair Restoration Orange County

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read through this post and commenting! I'll reply soon

@vuyelwa_vm

© VERY ME VERY V - South African Beauty Blog. Design by FCD.