November 20, 2016

DIY| HYDRATING 'PEEL OFF' FACE MASK


As part of my skincare routine, I love to apply a facial mask once or twice a week for that extra bit of nourishment and pampering. I have been loving making my own facial masks lately and since it is Sunday, a day I usually reserve for getting some mind, body and soul rejuvenation, I’ve decided to share some of my favourite DIY masks so that you can also experience the fulfilment of homemade cosmetic splendour. 

I’ll be sharing the DIY masks over a three week period (trying to keep my posts short ‘n sweet) and this week we’ll be looking at a hydrating ‘peel off’ mask.

While there are certainly some lustworthy brand masks that I would love to try (GLAMGLOW Mud Mask, The Body Shop British Rose Plumping Mask, L’oreal Pure Clay Glow Mask, to name a few), DIY masks have become a regular feature in my skincare routine because the ingredients can be easily customised to suit my skin’s needs and I can acquire the wholesome goodness of using fresh organic ingredients without the exuberant costs.  

A combination of superfoods makes this skin-softening, hydrating mask
The hydrating mask that I make features a wonderful combination of ‘superfood’ ingredients – superfoods are regarded as the most nutrient- and mineral-packed organic foods on Earth. The ingredients included in the mask are green tea which is rich in wrinkle-fighting antioxidants; aloe vera gel which is renowned for its hydrating and skin-healing properties; Spirulina, a seaweed derivative that boasts a healthy dose of the collagen-producing vitamin E and  agar agar, another derivative of mineral-rich seaweed that gives the mask its jellylike ‘peelable’ characteristic.


Agar agar helps the mask to set at room temperature

Ingredients
½  cup water
1 green tea bag (or any herbal tea of your choice)
1 tsp aloe vera gel (R89.95, Dischem)
1 tsp agar agar (R65.95, Dischem)
1 tsp Spirulina powder (optional)

Method
Bring water to the boil, add all of the ingredients and stir until all dry ingredients have been dissolved. Allow mixture to simmer for 2-3 minutes. Remove tea bag and allow mixture to cool (but not solidify) before applying to clean dry face with a  flat foundation brush or fingers. Wait 5-10 minutes for mask to solidify before peeling off. Follow with application of serum or facial oil and moisturiser.

Make sure to apply a thick layer to help the mask peel off easily

I love to use this mask when my skin is feeling a bit worn out, dehydrated and in dire need of comforting TLC. After application, my skin feels soft, supple and hydrated with a natural healthy glow.

Since the mask can be customised, the addition of vitamin C would work well for those wanting to brightening their complexion. It is however important to conduct a patch test (behind ear) to see how your skin reacts to the addition of unfamiliar ingredients.


Do you have your own version of a hydrating mask? If you do, let me know in the comments!


'Til next time,

V

 

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to read through this post and commenting! I'll reply soon

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...